Resident Program Faculty
Jennifer Elam works as a psychologist. While a student at Pendle Hill from 1996 to 1998, she discovered arts as a spiritual practice, which has been an important part of her life ever since. She has taught Arts and Spirituality courses in many places from prison to Quaker meetings.
Eileen Flanagan has taught Discerning Our Calls and other courses in the Pendle Hill Resident Program for years. Spiritual discernment has been a theme of her writing. Her first book, Listen with Your Heart: Seeking the Sacred in Romantic Love, began as a Festival Week presentation during her time as a Pendle Hill resident staff member in 1993.
Michael Gagné, a member of Central Philadelphia Monthly Meeting, was drawn to Quakers through Friends’ historical testimonies, emphasis on the Inner Light, courageous social action, mystical theology, and corporate discernment practices.
George Lakey has led over 1500 workshops on five continents, taught at colleges (currently Swarthmore), led activist projects on local, state, and national levels, and authored eight books on social change, peace, and liberation pedagogy.
Ingrid Lakey is a founder, former director, and current member of Earth Quaker Action Team (EQAT), a grassroots organization dedicated to building a just and sustainable economy through nonviolent direct action.
Tema Okun has spent over 25 years working with and for social justice organizations as a trainer, facilitator, and coach aimed at helping leaders and groups address race, class, gender, and other equity issues.
Clinton Pettus recently retired from the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC), where he served as Regional Director of the Middle Atlantic Regional AFSC office and most recently Deputy General Secretary for Programs.
Benjamin Weiss is a certified permaculture designer and teacher. He has studied sustainable systems at The Farm Ecovillage Training Center, Growing Power, and the Central Rocky Mountain Permaculture Institute. Ben lives and works in the fertile cultural and agricultural soil of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.