June is a month for weddings, and one marriage made in heaven is that between strawberries and rhubarb. This simple dessert will please everyone (including those avoiding gluten). Serves 10-12.
For the filling:
1 ½ pounds fresh rhubarb (about 6 cups), cut in 1” pieces
1 pound of strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 ¼ cups sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch of salt
For the topping:
2 cups gluten free whole oats to blend
1 cup gluten free whole oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup brown sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup melted butter
- First, butter a 9″ x 13″ inch pan and preheat the oven to 325°.
- Place the rhubarb and strawberries in a large bowl. Mix with the sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Set aside. Using a food processor, blend the 2 cups of gluten-free whole oats until they become flour.
- Mix together the ground oats, whole oats, almonds, brown sugar, lemon zest, and cinnamon. Stir, then blend in the melted butter and mix well.
- Place the prepared pan on a baking sheet covered with foil or parchment. (This is for easy clean up if the crumble bubbles over while baking.) In the prepared pan, pour in the strawberry rhubarb mixture then top with the topping.
- Bake at 325° for about 30 minutes, until the top is golden and the fruit filling is bubbling.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!