POSITION: Executive Assistant
PENDLE HILL is a Quaker study, retreat, and conference center located on 24 beautiful acres in unceded Lenni-Lenape territory. We are a mission-driven organization that seeks to create peace with justice in the world by transforming lives through learning opportunities, retreat, and community created on our campus and in virtual settings. We work to be inclusive, respectful, and supportive of all people, striving for peace and justice.
This is a highly collaborative staff community featuring responsive leadership and many community-building opportunities, like biannual staff retreats for fun, growth, and connection, monthly fun activities as part of staff meeting, and the opportunity to serve on various committees. We also have monthly community work mornings, which provide variety with the opportunity to lend a hand on another team’s project or lead one for staff in your own work area. Learn more about Pendle Hill at https://pendlehill.org/.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Executive Assistant (EA) is the “right hand” of the Executive Director (ED) – maintaining good order, confidentiality, a sense of humor, and aiding the ED’s workflow and workload as seamlessly as possible. Specific areas of support include phone and email communications; document-drafting or finalizing; coordination of events (including both for the Board and staff); and long-term status management of issues or items under consideration by the board or administration. The EA brings great written and verbal communication skills, often serving as the first point of contact with Board members, volunteers, and newcomers, maintaining an organized, welcoming environment for all. The EA serves as administrative support for the Board and Human Resources at the discretion of the Executive Director.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
TIME EXPECTATIONS: This is a part-time, non-exempt position, which is not eligible for remote work. “Full-time” at Pendle Hill is 37.5 hours per week, with 7.5-hour typical workdays, not including a half-hour lunch break. This scales to all part-time positions, thus this 60% position works 22.5 hours per week. Hours will vary and include occasional evenings, early mornings, weekends, and holidays (with an alternate nearby day selected for observance of the paid holiday).
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: $22.00 per hour compensation plus benefits including generous paid vacation days (20 days, with paid hours scaling to % of employment), sick days (15 days, with paid hours scaling to % of employment), and holidays (11 with paid hours scaling to % of employment). Additionally, a retirement plan with 2% employer match is available to all those working more than 1000 hours per year, and there is the opportunity to take Pendle Hill courses for free. Additional benefits include one meal a day from the Pendle Hill Kitchen (free to staff except for the tax), a 20% employee discount at the Pendle Hill Bookstore, free copies of all Pendle Hill pamphlets upon publication, and a beautiful campus with walking trails and fellowship with people from around the world.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains strict discretion on personnel matters and other confidential areas of work.
- Supports Executive Director with incoming and outgoing communications, including email, phone, correspondence, and articles for publication on our website.
- Arranges travel bookings, prepares itineraries and necessary materials for trips, tracking expenses and submitting receipts.
- Provides support for Administrative Team meetings: prepares meeting agendas, takes notes, and prepares reports for staff meetings, tracks progress of items in partnership with Executive Director.
- Drafts or finalizes correspondence or other writing, including document edits, layout and design as needed.
- Collates staff reports to the Board for their business meetings. This includes coordinating submission timelines in partnership with the Executive Director, report formatting, editing, proofreading, and producing final copies.
- See full list of duties in the job description.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills (in person, writing, and on telephone).
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel essential) and demonstrated ease with various computer uses (including comfort learning new uses).
- Great time management, with an eye for detail and commitment to meeting deadlines.
- Track record of excellent judgment and discretion in handling confidential or sensitive matters.
- Presents a professional demeanor.
- Excellent, fast keyboarding skills.
- Experience as an Administrative or Executive Assistant.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Demonstrated skill with office organization and record-keeping.
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or similar database.
EXPECTATIONS OF ALL PENDLE HILL EMPLOYEES:
- A highly welcoming attitude and willingness to provide hospitality for members of, and visitors to, the Pendle Hill community. Openness to a wide range of spiritual beliefs and experiences, cultural backgrounds and practices, and differences (of all kinds).
- Either a familiarity with Quakerism or a willingness to learn about it, as well as an appreciation for the role of Quakerism in the mission of Pendle Hill.
- A commitment to abiding by all Pendle Hill policies, including maintaining a fragrance-free campus.
NONDISCRIMINATION POLICY: Pendle Hill appoints individuals without discrimination based on color, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, class, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, ancestry, ability, marital status, domestic partnership or civil union status, religious affiliation, or any other category protected by law. Pendle Hill recognizes that some of these categories are social constructs, not rooted in science. Our aim is to be inclusive and affirming.
Pendle Hill staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except for those who cannot receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons.
Pendle Hill is not able to sponsor a work visa for international applicants at this time.
BACKGROUND CHECKS: Pendle Hill will conduct a background check for all candidates prior to hire.
INTERESTED? Please submit the following items firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Executive Assistant” and your last name in the email subject line:
- a current resume,
- a cover letter that includes how you heard about the position, why you want to be considered, and your qualifications (applications received without a cover letter will not be considered),
- and contact information for three references, at least two of whom are professional references.
Review of applications will begin on August 28th. The anticipated start date is October 2nd.