This tasty salad is festive in its presentation and a refreshing change from the heaviness of holiday eating. Serves 6.
- 2 bunches of kale
- 1 pear diced into ½ inch cubes
- 4 ounces blue cheese or Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Pecans: Melt butter in an non-stick skillet. Add pecans and toast, stir continuously for 4-5 minutes. Once the nuts are browned, add sugar and salt, stir, and promptly remove from heat. Cool on a plate and try really hard not to eat too many.
Dressing: In a jar with a tight sealing lid, combine vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Shake vigorously for about 10 seconds. Add oil and shake again.
Toss dressing with salad greens and then top with pears, Gorgonzola, and pecans.