- ¼ cups plus 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 8 oz. strawberries, hulled and cut into ½-in. pieces (1 cup)
- 1 cup sugar plus 2 Tbsp., divided
- ½ cups milk
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350ºF. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment.
- In a small pot set over medium heat, melt the butter until it smells nutty and is light brown, about 6–8 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the strawberries and 2 tablespoons of sugar and coarsely mash with a fork. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, and lemon juice. Once combined add the cooled butter, egg, lemon zest, baking powder, salt, vanilla, and remaining sugar. Using a silicone spatula, fold in the flour until no white streaks remain.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, then top evenly with the strawberries and their juices and bake for 10 minutes. Turn the heat to 325ºF and continue baking until golden brown and the edges begin to pull away from the pan, about 45 minutes more. Cool completely before inverting onto a serving plate.