This recipe is adapted at Pendle Hill to include the vegetables we have on hand, as well as to reflect the cook’s preferences.
Feel free to adjust the quantities and ingredients to your own taste – substitute whatever vegetables you have for the celery, green pepper, and carrots, or use the ingredients below as a base to which more vegetables can be added.
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- ¾ cup chopped carrot
- 2 teaspoons salt
- (2) 28-ounce cans of tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice – or more to taste; add a little at a time
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette – or more to taste; add a little at a time
- 1 teaspoon molasses and/or honey – or more to taste; add a little at a time
Heat the oil in a large pot and sauté the garlic, onion, celery, green pepper, and carrots in it until tender. Add the salt and canned tomatoes.
Purée this mixture in a blender to the desired consistency. (If you prefer your soup chunky, purée for a shorter time; if you like a smoother soup, purée longer.) Return the mixture to the pot.
Season to taste with the lemon juice, balsamic vinaigrette, and molasses and/or honey. Add salt if needed. Heat and serve.
Serves about 8. Enjoy!