It’s zucchini time! Gardens abound with them, and neighbors are eager to share their bounty. This recipe (adapted from Cooking from an Italian Garden by Jon Cohen and Paola Scaravelli) provides a simple vegetarian supper for six.
- 12 medium zucchini, washed and cut in half length wise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 T basil, finely chopped
- 3 T parsley, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Remove the pulp from the zucchini halves, leaving a bit of the pulp intact. Chop fine and set aside. Place the zucchini shells on a prepared baking sheet.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan add the onion, garlic and sauce until the onion is translucent. Add the basil and parsley and sauté for a minute more. Add the chopped pulp and cook for another minute or two. Remove from the heat and add the eggs, parmesan, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper.
- Fill the zucchini shells with the stuffing mixture. Drizzle the tops with a little olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350° for 30-40 minutes until golden and crisp on top.